Wednesday, May 5, 2010

'Meaning to Finish' Project Week

We are supposed to be moving in a few weeks (this is a long story and one I will tell once it is resolved...ugh) so, seeing as I need to be getting things ready to be packed, I thought I would make this week 'let's finish up all the half finished projects lying around the house'.  I think my shorter title up top might be a bit catchier than that one though.

So, first up, last week I attended a craft group that I have been 'meaning to attend' for ages and finally completed a stamp that I have been wanting to do for a long time.  I love this style of flower (kind of a cross between a zinnia and dahlia) and am pretty happy with how it turned out.


Secondly, here is a simple little garland that I did with Sporty Girl and one of our favourite friends (hi Emma!).  I started making this for our easter stick tree and hung it up with only half the mirrors done, so this is finished.  I have no idea what to do with it now.  It will go in the box with all the other seasonal decorating things I guess....or Sporty Girl's room after we move maybe.  This is so easy and it really did look very pretty as a garland in our stick tree.  Plus it is easy enough for relatively young crafters to make. Just tie on your beads (they need to be a decent size) using whatever thread you want (I used inherited waxed twine - thanks Emily!) and leaving a gap in between.  Then I lay it out on the table, lay a little mirror square face down, put a blob of glue on it, lay the thread in the glue and squished another mirror square on top to sandwich the thread.  Because the waxed twine has some thickness to it, the mirrors didn't sit flat with each other but it all dried fine and securely anyway.  The effect is pretty with the light bouncing off the mirrors.


Here is a detail of how we tied the beads on.  Just run the thread through and secure it with a simple knot.


Lastly, this isn't a project, but I forgot to tell you that my fabric from Spoonflower arrived!  So excited!  I think it turned out great (if I do say so myself) and I will be ordering some yardage to make up (after we move - everything is now postponed to 'after we move').  If you like it, I am pretty sure you can order yardage through Spoonflower now that I have done the test swatch.  I think I will use this test swatch to make a little zippered purse (after we move, of course).  Cute!



Don't forget to enter my giveaway!!  You have until Saturday, noon, Uruguay time.

2 comments:

  1. I love your...dinnia? Whatever that cute flower is. :-) Very nice!

    And your fabric is quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful stamp creation. Did you free hand this? Or did you use a pattern?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails